- This event has passed.
April 24 @ 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm CDT
The Institute for Military and Veteran Family Wellness is excited to welcome our newest team, Dr. Abby Blankenship who will present on “PTSD 101.” Dr. Blankenship comes to us from the Fort Hood STRONG STAR PTSD research group and has 10 years of experience treating PTSD in active duty service members and veterans. Service members who have deployed post 9/11 are at an increased risk for PTSD and other mental health problems in comparison to the general population. Understanding how PTSD develops, the symptoms, and available resources and treatment options can be helpful as a military or former military-connected person. The purpose of this talk is to foster a safe environment to learn more about PTSD and ask questions. Topics will include:
- Why do we think PTSD develops?
- What are the symptoms of PTSD?
- Why do some people who experience trauma develop PTSD while others do not?
- What happens in the brain because of PTSD?
- What happens when someone has repeated exposure to trauma?
- What are some common health and relationship problems associated with PTSD?
- What are the resources and therapy options for service members and veterans with PTSD?
- Can a person recover from PTSD?
- How can family members help someone with PTSD?